This article describes common problems you may encounter using Zebra – RFD8500 RFID device and helps you to resolve them.
The possible issues are:
A. RFD8500 Device is not getting ON / OFF
B. RFD8500 Device is not connected with TagMatiks Wedge application
C. RFD8500 Device is connected to another iOS/Android device
D. RFID Tags are not getting read in TagMatiks Wedge application
Switching ON the RFD8500 Device:
1. Press the Main Power button continuously for 3 seconds only.
2. Then its LED lights up GREEN meaning power is on.
Switching OFF the RFD8500 Device:
1. To switch off when the RFD8500 reader is on, press the Main Power button continuously for 3 seconds only.
2. Then its GREEN LED light is off, meaning the RFD8500 device is power off.
Immediately after when RFD8500 device is power on, the “Bluetooth Pairing” LED light will automatically start flashing Blue – this indicates that RFD8500 device is now in discoverable mode and ready to pair with a nearby iOS device.
1. Open the TagMatiks Wedge application and login into it.
2. On the top left of the application, you can check the reader’s connection status; as shown below.
3. As no RFID reader is paired with the iOS device, thus the status is showing as: “Reader Disconnected”
4. To make the connection with the RFD8500 reader; press the “Manage Reader” button - on the left-hand side of application (highlighted in red color).
NOTE: Make sure the iOS device’s Bluetooth must be on.
5. Then multiple RFID reader options will come on the display.
6. Select “Zebra RFID Readers” (highlighted with blue).
7. Then a new window will open, named: “Readers List.”
8. Bring RFD8500 reader close to iOS device.
9. Application will show the discoverable reader’s name; as shown below:
10. The reader’s name will be “RFD8500XXXXXXXXXXXXXX”; where “XXXXXXXXXXXXXX” is the 14 digit value of the device's serial number.
11. E.g. In the above image, the value “16051523021374” is the 14 digit value of the device's serial number.
When no RFD8500 reader is there nearby the iOS device OR If the Bluetooth of RFD8500 reader is Off OR RFD8500 Reader is not in pairing mode. OR RFD8500 Reader is already paired with another iOS/Android device.
then the application will show “No Available Readers.” Refer above image.
12. Now press on the available Reader name.
13. Once you press on the reader's name, then the application will start making a connection with the RFD8500 device.
14. On successful connection, an acknowledgment/pop window will come – stating that” RFD850016051523021374 has connected successfully”; refer below image:
15. Application will also fetch the Model & Serial number of connected RFD8500 device and show it along with the reader’s name; as shown in above image.
If the RFD8500 device is “ON” but couldn’t connect to the iOS device. Then there is a possibility that the RFD8500 device is already paired & connected to another iOS/Android device. To check the same, please follow following steps
I. RFD8500 device LED status check:
1. Check the status of the “Bluetooth Pairing” LED light.
2. If it is solid blue; means RFD8500 device is already in paired with another iOS/Android device; as shown in below image:
3. Else “Bluetooth Pairing” LED light is flashing Blue – this shows that the RFD8500 device is now in discoverable mode and ready to pair with a nearby iOS device.
II. On TagMatiks Wedge Application: RFD8500 Reader check:
1. Press “Manage Reader” button - on the left-hand side of TagMatiks Wedge application (highlighted in red color).
NOTE: Make sure the iOS device’s Bluetooth must be on and near to the RFD8500 reader.
2. Select “Zebra RFID Readers” (highlighted in blue).
3. Then a new window will open, named: “Readers List.”
4. If no reader comes/reflects in the reader list.
5. This means:
Either no RFD8500 RFID reader is there nearby the iOS device OR RFD8500 Reader is already paired with another iOS/Android device.
then TagMatiks Wedge application will show “No Available Readers.” Refer the image.
1. To read the RFID tags from RFD8500 reader; press “Inventory” button - on the left-hand side of TagMatiks Wedge application.
2. Then a new window will open, named: “Inventory.”
3. Create a new Inventory transaction, by pressing the “+” button on the right bottom of the application.
4. Press the “Scan” button (on the right bottom of the application) for reading the RFID tags.
5. This means the RFD8500 Reader is in polling state and reading the tags. Same can be seen in the application window. Refer below image:
6. Once you Press “Stop” button (on the right bottom of the application),the RFD8500 reader will stop reading the tags.
7. As a result, the read tags will populate on the application window, as shown in below image.
NOTE: The reading start/ stop can also be controlled with the “Trigger” button of the RFD8500 Sled.